Search This Blog

Tuesday 25 March 2014

T + 399. Upgraded and Goodnight Vienna

 Had a visit from a serious faced nurse last night who pulled up a chair next to my bed and said

"I have some news for you on the results of your recent swab tests" (nose and throat)
Me thinks: OOOeerr
" The results show positive for two further viruses - Rhinovirus and RSV (Human Respiratorial Syncytial virus)
OOOeerr x 2
"Because of this we have to tranfer you to another ward due to the risk of cross infection and anybody who enters your room from now on will need to wear a facemask"
Me: " So as well as having VRE, I now have RV and RSV?"
"Yes"
"What are they then?"
"Well the Rhinovirus is a cold bug and RSV is normally a bronchitis bug found in children" (figures)
Me: (relief) "So it's a cough and a cold then? It shouldn't keep me in here?"
She's non-commital. I think I'll be able to get released.

Upshot is at 1am I get moved from Waddington Ward to Davidson Ward. Something to do with Waddington being a positive pressure environment and Davidson not. Didn't really understand but less likely I'll infect other people from here. So now on Davidson ward room 14. Will be asking the consultant this afternoon about the impact of this - suspect not much, so I've got a cough and cold big deal. Been living with our own little germ factory Milo at home for a year - and living out in the sticks I would've thought I'm much less likely to come into contact with bugs than staying in here.
I'm feeling that I may take matters into my own hands and discharge myself if the CMV levels are right down to an acceptable level.

Room is slightly larger YAY but window has view of concrete wall and I don't think I will see sunlight, bonus though is the shower super high powered and really hot, I virtually slid out under the door when finished this morning - so relaxing. Just as well that I'm off TV as someone has nicked the r/c from the room.

UPDATE:

CMV count has dropped from 64000 to 6000. yeehaw! One more night in Kings then a session of Photo pheresis over at Guys Hospital then I'm on the train home on Wednesday afternoon couldn't be happier. Here's to recovery (again).

No comments:

Post a Comment