Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 July 2014

T + 521. It's fucken' hot and sticky down there.

Well Jeannette has been in Australia for 11 days now, has finished in Cairns and is now back in Sydney - sod's law that she leaves the country to go to their winter just as we hit a heatwave here. She's due back on Friday morning.  Just heard from her this morning that our 457 working visas have been approved, so it's all systems go on tarting up the house for rental getting our stuff put into storage and a hundred other thing to sort. Wellie has just had his rabies jab and there is a waiting period of 180 days to ensure that it has been effective which means we'll have to leave him here in kennels until early next year before shipping him out to Aus.

There's a few bits of tarting up I need to do to the house - the walls need painting to cover up Milo's handprints and the marks that our smeggy dog has left from shaking himself dry in the house also the work surfaces in the kitchen need stripping off and re-oiling. Going to need to get the Disco cleaned up in order to sell it as contrary to what we originally thought, it's not going to be worth our while shipping a car out there as it's a huge amount of hassle to square it away with the Aus government and we'd have to ship it back at the end of our stay anyway, by which time it will be a fourteen year old car and worth fuck all. I'll probably go for a Holden or  Mitsubishi pick-up (a fucken' Ute mate) when we get out there.

I've still got the mouth ulcers and raw eyes from GVHD - it's not getting any better, but on the flip side it's not getting any worse either. I'll be having ECP right up until the time we go to Aus and it remains to be seen whether I'll actually be able to continue the treatment in Sydney, - it's available there but I dunno if it falls within the reciprocal care arrangement. The biggest relief was finding out that my meds are covered as we wouldn't be able to afford to pay retail for them, it's about £1200 a month! I've been advised to take a 3 month supply of drugs out with me to cover the period it will take for Medicare and the PBS to get me on the books re prescriptions.

Proud pumpkin headed father and Callum the Graduate
Had a fantastic day on Tuesday drove up to Nottingham with my eldest son's mum to attend Callum's graduation ceremony. So very chuffed for him - the degrees were handed out in about an hour - but we then had to sit through a further 90 minutes of speeches from boring old farts who obviously did not have the gift of writing or delivering an amusing or engaging speech - it was pure fucking torture. at one point Addie (Callum's mum) looked at me and mouthed 'Make it end - kill me now'. It really was that rough.

Chancellor and Vice Chancellor yesterday
I've restarted watching that show about the people with terminal cancer - 'My Last Summer' - 5 people brought together to spend their last months sharing what its like to be living on borrowed time. Three of the five have so far succumbed - and it's been an incredibly poignant and  moving show to watch. I would be in floods of tears if it weren't for the GVHD in my eyes which means I can't actually cry! Parts of the show that really resonates with me are the before and after shots of  one of the survivors Andy - pictures of him on his wedding day looking fit and happy then cut to now, with a steroid bloated face and bags under eyes - going in and out of hospital constantly fighting every little cough and cold that comes his way. It's a conceit for me to make any form of comparison - but the meds and the mode of existence are so similar that I can't help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment