Search This Blog

Sunday 3 March 2013

T + 12. A Momentary Lapse of Self Absorbtion

03/03/2013

Hb:    8.2    (-0.9)
Wbc: 1.73  (+1.42)
Ntl:    1.43  (+1.22)
Plt:     18     (-3)


Weight: 82.5kg

Not completely unexpected last night was another night on the tiles, but it started much earlier - I think it was about half past midnight that my temperature went up and I started gettin' down with ma bad self (shaking that is, not...you know). Throat very inflamed felt like I had a spike through it from mucositis so I spent the rest of the night in a bit of a haze getting topped up on Pethedine, Oramorph and Paracetomol every couple of hours (4 for the Paracetomol) and probably until about midday today just sleeping, vegging and waiting for my head to clear. Really hadn't realised how much it took out of me until I got up to get washed and had to navigate round to the bathroom holding onto the wall - luckily it's a small room.

I know it's probably tempting fate to be writing this again but at nearly 24 hours remove and with no recurrence I feel I'm still having an easy ride. When I hear an alarm go off in another room and the clatter of feet as the crash team rushes to help there's just no comparison. Any discomfort so far is sure to be temporary and given the news from yesterdays' and todays' bloods I couldn't  honestly justify feeling anything other than upbeat

Jeannette came in to sit with me on Saturday afternoon which was most sweet and forbearing as in retrospect I very much doubt that I was fit for human consumption - I think she just couldn't wait to get a look at my new baldy man look. She says a tad Bruce Willis - I say Locke the on/off paralysed guy out of  LOST.


Thas right you be checkin' my Swag - fool

24 hours is a long time in this kind of situation (actually one can be) when I went to clean my teeth this morning to get rid of the sickly sweet taste of umpteen doses of Oramorph I was all but unrecognisable. Eyes puffed half closed, big puffy jowls and a lower lip to put Jagger to shame, from water retention and all painted a lovely livid sweaty red but by 10pm you'd never have known it had even occurred.
I marvel at the human body now - the trillions of things that it gets right every hour of every day - the amount of stuff that gets put in me that it would normally do just trucking along on autopilot it's quite, quite miraculous

There is something wrong with me (apart from the MDS) in that for some bizarre reason I allow adverts to get up my nose.  In the normal run of things I never see them because on Freesat you either view pre-recorded or just pause or fwd. TV when the ads come on. I don't have that option in here and he latest furniture chewer for me is the McDonald's ad with the whiny northern teen who won't accept the Mum's dopey looking bowl cut new fella, until the boyfriend offers to take him to McDonald's. Why oh why does he not take the opportunity to crush the little turd and just say 'I wasn't talking to you sh*thead' and just walk out - it would be such a beautiful thing.

7 comments:

  1. oh this photo pleases my soul!! For the first time in my life (Harry Enfield Brummie accent) "I have consideraably more hair than yaow"

    I'm going to have hours of fun with paint shop, a little Ming the Merciless Gary Glitter beard would look good!

    Keep up the fight and see you soon Bro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lovely bloke a bit like that I met in the queue for something the other day- us mask faces get kept together I waiting rooms. He's really feisty 70 year old chap called Graeme he had a quad by pass 2.5 years ago, the on top of that developed MDS affecting his platelets. His hospital and home refused to do anything other than platelet transfusions up at Wolverhampton so he hassled Mufti for bit who soon said come down and now he's just starting chemo for the MDS. I've gonna pop in and see him before I go - maybe get a pics -what a trooper and a gutsy mman. Hello Graeme the jeep fixer if you red this.x

      Delete
  2. hi nick, using mums log in again! very impressed with your head shape - and have actually spent ages feeling my head and realising that if i went bald i have a very ugly head shape - much more domed than yours! judging by this pic you still have your eyebrows - or have they now gone like little caterpillers crawling off the pillow. keep writing, very proud of you big cuz. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not showing any sign of leaving yet either Lisa. The creepiest thing about this whole business is not having any arm hair - it feels really slimey and noncy.

      xN

      Delete
  3. If it's any consolation, Nick, I look like I've been undergoing intense chemo for the last decade. At least your barnet will grow back. What colour are the trainers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Skool Starsky and Hutch Steve, Blue with the three white stripes, although some arsehole ex work colleague has emailed me to let me know they were actaully a make called Patrick's.

      Delete