Search This Blog

Sunday 28 April 2019

Rituximab



Ah yes RITUXIMAB reallly does deserve its own little detour, even if nobody reads it.

For those of you for whom it was a success - congratulations.

This sidebar is for those of you for whom it might not have been such a stonker. I’d be interested to hear if we had shared experiences. I’m told that it’s a kind of shock tactic thing - an anti-body therapy used to hit cGVHD with a real blast to knock it out of existence. It is administered over a 4 week course of IV infusions,  done at your usual out patient clinic. I was given mine October running into November. It takes about an hour and leaves you spacey and tired and rest is given as the the best thing after - on infusion day.

Then you wake up the next day and everything is different:

 a) your body is now a shell.
b) it’s had all its insides taken out with a giant ice cream scooper.
c) you are some kind of ghost thing for the day but you can talk.
d) there’s a hangover lurking in the vicinity
e) you still look the same to other people

The Groke - a pretty good analogy for how you may feel on R+1.
Thoughts take a long time and things happen very slowly because the ice cream scooop thing took your brain off somewhere. There tends to be a lot of standing still and staring. I spent most of R+1 getting out of people’s way - until I copped on that the safest place was back in bed again,

Getting subjective it was the weirdest non recreational drug I’ve ever had - it really does applecore you then fills the void with vague uneasiness and a touch of hangover. You’d have just about recovered and got your self back together as a functioning human - when the next Wednesday would roll around - so you probably get 3 days of relief a week for four weeks.

 I finished the 4 week course as I was hopeful that I would be one of the lucky (38%?) for whom it works, unfortunately I was not.

There is a (my) tendency to think - Christ what a stupid twatfaced bolloks waste of time and unneccesary aggro, which sadly I must admit was the first port of call for me - but then you get to realise that this stuff is not cheap and I am grateful to the NHS for the opportunity to be given the therapy in the first place. And what if it had just worked out eh? What if it just had....

No comments:

Post a Comment